Technology can provide new and exciting ways to present information to help keep hold of your audience, also known as your students. You can use the computer as a teacher for you students with software that matches your curriculum. One can appropriately use programs that help the students practice math problems over and over that can check their work for them or work specifically on what they are having trouble with. The computer also provides different ways to present information. The internet is also a useful tool for students to use when gathering not only text information, but video and audio as well. However teachers need to be careful they do not rely solely on computers to teach their students for them. Teachers need to be there to oversee and to answer questions that the students may have. Computers also have the tendency to make people lazy, especially when it comes to correct grammar and punctuation. Many word processor programs offer spell check, which unfortunately does not allow the student to look up and learn how to spell words- it does it automatically for them. I agree that it is important for teachers to help their students learn about computers and technology to prepare them for the real world in which they will be faced, and maybe even expected to know how to do certain things.
In my classroom I would like to use computers to present the information to my students. I think Microsoft Power Point is a good program to use with subjects like social studies and science because they can break down paragraphs of information into small sections to help the students understand the details as well as the big concepts. I also like the idea of using computers to help solidify material learned in math. Math is best learned by repetition, and I think a software program that allows each student to work one on one with math problems that they specifically need help with, and that also gives them immediate results as to whether or not they are doing the problem correctly. In this class I would like to learn about the different programs available to use with my students, and also different websites that can help them make the most out of learning.
I have always wanted to be a teacher, but the closer I'm getting to accomplishing my goal the more I am realizing that I am not sure if this is all I want to do. I can definitely see myself teaching for awhile, but I think eventually I would like to go into Family and Marriage counseling. I am excited to teach and know I will enjoy it; I love kids and have been looking forward to doing this my entire life, however I am also trying not to narrow my options just because it is something I have always had my mind set on doing. I am glad to be taking this class because there is definitely a lot more I can learn about computers and the different things offered with technology these days, and I hope to remember all I learn so that I can apply it to my classroom someday.
Post #10
16 years ago
I took Family and Relationships last semester so I can see why you're having a hard time deciding. That class was awesome! How about being a guidance counselor? :)
ReplyDeleteI agree with how computers have a tendancy to make people lazy. It's so easy to just press spell check or correct grammar that no one takes the time to correct it themselves. I have also always wanted to be a teacher and am now just realizing that I haven't really looked into anything else. I'm in the same boat, trying to look into other feilds that still deal with children. I'll have to look into Family and Marriage counseling as well, that sounds interesting! :)
ReplyDeleteNice blog, I think powerpoint is a good way to facilitate learning. I think it could be used for any subject though just because you can add pictures as well as paragraphs. Also I think you can do anything you want and family and marriage sounds fun
ReplyDelete